Tuesday, December 10, 2013

"You are one brave kid." You are Worth It, Daddy!

In a world where too many children have no Daddy, I am blessed far more than I deserve. I don't just have a father, I've had him for 90 years, 6 months, 23 days and counting.  He has always been Mother's, Jeff's, Gregg's, David's and my rock. His shoulders are huge and he has never shrunk from his duty.  He is selfless and he wrote the book on hard work.
He is now in the home stretch.  God has granted me the desire of my heart ---I get to help him cross over.
I have always been a Daddy's girl.  Making him proud was my goal, driving him crazy was only my part-time job.  I succeeded  at both.  He was always there and up for whatever I  threw in his path. I like to think I'm a chip off the old block.  No one will ever fill his shoes. Was he easy to live with? No.  Did he give it all away? Yes.
He comes from the Mt Rushmore of Knight Boys... so driven, so bright, handsome and devoted to their Momma, Granny.  Yes, they loved Pop, but Pop was never warm and fuzzy.  Daddy said,"Pop could take you or leave you. It made no difference to him."  Uncle Ronald used to say, "Ask Pop if he ever laid a hand on us."  Actually he didn't---his *rod of choice was a bullwhip.  One time not long after my divorce, Pop looked at me and said,"For $50 bucks I could have him killed."
Last night the sweet Hospice nurse suggested we set up a room for Daddy with a place for the workers to sit.  So that was my project for today.  Hospice said they could bring in a hospital bed but Daddy needed a bigger bed but I did think of a way to get his head elevated--- bed risers from Bed Bath and Beyond.  This used to be a trundle bed in the sunroom.
Now Daddy has a kingsize bed, a nice view and the ability to watch Mother come and go.  For years now each night I have been back home Daddy has said the same thing to me, "Goodnight", then turned to tell me, "You leave our furniture where it is!"  Mike Calvert calls me the Furniture Fairy, many of you have been on the receiving end of new furniture placement. I like to think it is my Spiritual Gift!



No comments: